Good for what ails ya chicken soup


Nothing makes you feel better when you are sick then a nice bowl of chicken soup, after all, millions of Jewish and Chinese mommas can't all be wrong!

So yesterday I broke out the crock pot and decided to make soup. I started with 6 cups of turkey stock from the freezer (you can use chicken stock if you have it). Once that was thawed and hot, I tossed in 5 boneless, skinless chicken thighs (you can use breasts if you have them) and seasoned with a big pinch of kosher salt, a few grinds of fresh pepper, a HEAPING tablespoon minced garlic, a very heaping tablespoon of tom yum paste from the Asian market and let that simmer for a few hours.

Once the chicken was cooked thru and tender, I pulled the pieces out and chopped them up and added them back to the soup. I then added a package of frozen stirfry veggies and a handful of dried green beans, squash and walla walla onions that I had dried a couple months ago. I let the soup simmer a while longer to let the veggies rehydrate and heat thru. I then added a can of coconut milk and let everything simmer until I was ready for nice hot bowl of soup.

The one nice thing about chicken soup is the only mandatory ingredient is the chicken, everything else that goes in is up to you. You can fix it anyway you want and there is no fixed amounts, you can add as much or as little of what you want in it.

It is one of the ultimate comfort foods for when you are feeling under the weather.

Comments

Popular Posts