Adventures in gluten free cooking

So I am on day 4 of no gluten and puttering along (for my reasons why, check out my main blog). It is amazing where they hide it in food. You have to know all the buzz words they use, like "hydrolized vegetable protein" which may or may not be made from wheat. "Modified food starch" is another.

So Saturday for breakfast/lunch I cooked up corned beef hash and had eggs with it (hubby got toast with his). Saturday night I baked some chicken and made a sauce of peanut butter, coconut milk, pad thai sauce (gluten free) and a few drops of green Tabasco. Served with rice.

Saturday I also started bean soup. I had a couple bones from pork roasts I deboned and a regular hambone. Those I popped into the crock pot with water and simmered those for the day. When the stock was about ready I quick soaked some beans. Quick soaking involves sorting and rinsing the beans (in this case a bean mixture of various types of beans and legumes) and then into a pot with water, bring to boil, let boil for several mintues and take off the heat. Cover the pot and let them sit for about an hour or so.

When they were ready, I took the bones out of the crock pot, drained and rinsed the beans and added them to the crockpot. I let the bones cool a bit and then took off what meat I could and added that back to the beans. I then added a sliced onion and a couple heaping tablespoons of minced garlic, salt and worcestershire sauce (Lea & Perrins). I then let that simmer over night on low.

MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM

My house smelled so yummy when I woke up Sunday morning. We had bean soup for lunch and the beans were nice and creamy and buttery, the flavor of the soup was to die for.

Since I am avoiding gluten, I am not doing bread, at least wheat bread. I picked up some corn meal and made corn bread, using gluten free flour in place of regular flour my recipe calls for. I made the corn bread in my cast iron skillet using melted bacon grease. Oh yum. Went wonderfully with the bean soup for my lunch on Monday:



Sunday night I was craving chicken nuggets, so I pulled out a package of Bob's Red Mill gluten free flour and made a batter with it and some soda water. I cut up coneless, skinless chicken thights and seasoned them with Johhny's garlic caesar and then dredged them into the batter and then dropped the nuggets into the hot oil in my Fry Daddy.

Oh boy were they yummy.

On to Monday, figuring out dinner. We picked up a beef roast and some corn tortillas. The roast I sliced thin into strips and cooked them up in the cast iron skillet with some of the garlic caesar. I set them aside and sauted some sweet onions in the juuices and steamed the tortillas in the microwave. I then put some of the beef, onions and mozzarella cheese into each torilla and YUM! Tho I thinknext time I will fry up my tortillas in a bit of oil for crunch.

Not sure what I'll fix for dinner tonight, I still have some beef I cut up and didn't cook, along with leftover rice from the other night. I can't do too much asian, as the soy sauce I have has wheat in it.

Comments

Popular Posts