Thursday, January 25, 2007

Today's lunch


Today's lunch
Originally uploaded by JeanC38.
Hubby wanted pizza for dinner last night as there was no place in town that sells gluten free pizza, we picked him a pizza up at Papa Murphy's and I stopped in to the Coop and picked up a few things.

The rotini is made of corn and is gluten free. I picked up half a pint of heavy cream and a small chunk of blue cheese (I was tempted by the Italian Gorganzola, but the pirce of the American blue cheese made it a better deal) and homeward we went.

While hubby's pizza was in the oven I filled a pot with water and brought it to a boil. Once boiling I poured in the pasta and set my timer for 5 minutes. The trick I learned while reading a few websites is to avoid over cooking the non-wheat pasta. The gluten in wheat pasta makes it more forgiving, but non-gluten pasta does not have that forgiveness. At 5 minutes I began to check for doneness as I like my pasta al dente.

When it was almost done, I heated up the cast iron skillet and added some butter. I drained the pasta and then tossed it in the skillet with the butter and tossed to coat. I then crumbled the blue cheese and added it and the heavy cream and a good handful of shredded mozarella for good measure.

Using tongs I mixed things about a bit and then pulled the skillet off the heat and just let things heat thru. Plated with a bit of beef that I had quick seared with a bit of garlic seasoning and I had a dinner to die for.

Hubby tried a bite of the pasta and then another bite, saying "I don't LIKE blue cheese" as he look like he was going to eat the whole thing LOL. Luckily I had already given him his pizza or else I would have had a fight for the pasta on my hands and no leftovers for lunch :D
Post a Comment