Chinese Chicken soup

So yesterday we were trying to figure out what to have for dinner. While nachos grande sounded good, we didn't feel like driving over to the store to get what we needed (we had the cheese and that was it). So we started going over what we had in the freezer and pantry.

I finally decided that I could come up with a chicken soup using the stir fry veggies, a package of ramen, turkey stock, coconut milk and various spices. So I pulled out boneless, skinless chicken thighs and a container of turkey stock and set to thawing.

Once the chicken was thawed, I diced them and into the pan they went to start cooking while I popped the stock in to thaw. Once the chicken was no longer pink on the outside, I sprinkled in a bit of kosher salt and then added a generous couple teaspoons of minced garlic and then the chopped up whites of a couple green onions. The stems I cut and set aside. Once the stock was mostly thawed, I put that in and added a sprinkling of Chinese 5 spice and a small pinch of red pepper flakes and let everything simmer for about 20 minutes.

I then added several handfuls of the Kirkland stir fry veggies from Costco, the set aside green onions and went to the pantry to discover I had mis-remembered and I didn't have any coconut milk left.

WAAHHH!!!!

Oh well, this will teach me to check carefully BEFORE deciding on what I was going to cook to make sure I have everything I needed. The soup was still quite yummy and the red pepper flakes added just the right amount of heat.

Comments

Popular Posts