Chicken with chickpeas

chicken & chickpeas


For a quick and easy dinner I came up with this recipe after googling for recipes I could use that had chicken and chickpeas. Most recipes called for more ingredients then I had on hand, so i decided to just be inspired by them and came up with my own.

I started by heating some olive oil in the skillet on medium heat and then adding some sliced onions. I let them sautee until they softened and then added a good heaping tablespoon of minced garlic. After the onnions and garlic had a chance cook for a while I sprinkled in some turmeric I just happened to have. As I wasn't sure how long it had been sitting in my pantry, I was very generous in the sprinkling.

Once the turmeric had a chance to bloom over the heat, I added 10 boneless, skinless chicken thighs and a good pinch of kosher salt and let them simmer over the onions and garlic with the the lid on.

Once they cooked for about 20 minutes, I turned the chicken so all sides were coated with the sauce that had formed. In the meantime I opened a can of chickpeas (garbanzo beans) and drained them.

Once the chicken had a chance to cook for a few more minutes, I added the chickpeas and moved the chicken around to coat the beans. I let the chicken and chickpeas simmer for another 15 minutes on medium low.

Once everything was done, I served the chicken and chickpeas over some jasmine rice I had cooked while I was cooking the main dish.

This came out very yummy and I have ideas of what I am going to do with it the next time (I am thinking greens such as fresh spinach tossed in at the end would make it even better).

chicken & chickpeas

Comments

MarmiteToasty said…
I LOVE chickpeas... the texture and the taste :) last night I made a chickpea, spinach and quorn curry..... MMMmmmm Mmmmm it was scrummie..

x

Popular Posts