Gluten-free naan

I adore naan, that wonderful Indian flat bread, but was despairing of ever having it again. A friend found a recipe for a gluten-free version and I gave it a try this last weekend.




gluten free naan


GLUTEN-FREE NAAN


Ingredients:


A little more than 1 1/4 c. tepid (lukewarm) whole milk
2 tsp. caster (extra-fine) sugar
4 tsp. active dry yeast


A little less than 2 1/2 c. rice flour
A little more than 1/2 c. tapioca flour
1 tsp. salt
2 tsp. gluten-free baking powder
2 tsp. xanthan gum
[For garlic naan, also add 2 tsp. granulated garlic]


4 tsp. vegetable or canola oil
2 tsp. caster (extra-fine sugar)
A little more than 1 1/4 c. (10+ oz.) plain yogurt
2 eggs


Directions:
In a bowl, mix tepid (lukewarm) milk, 2 tsp. sugar, and yeast. Then sit bowl in a warm place for 4-5 minutes.


Sift the flours, salt, baking powder, xantham gum [and garlic, if making garlic naan] into a bowl or food mixer.


Add remaining 2 tsp. sugar, oil, yogurt, and egg. Mix with electric mixer until smooth.


Add yeast/milk/sugar mixture. Mix until smooth.


Preheat oven to highest setting (on my oven that's 550 degrees).


Make dough into 12-15 equal size balls. Roll out balls into a tear shape that is 1/4 inch thick. (Roll dough in rice flour and put some rice flour on the rolling surface to keep dough from sticking. I used lightly floured wax paper on top of dough balls when rolling them out to also help with the sticking issue.)


Preheat a heavy baking tray in oven. Remove tray and put naan on it.


Lightly brush naan with olive oil. [If making garlic naan, mix granulated garlic in the olive oil before brushing on naan.]


Return to oven for 4-5 minutes or until naan puffs up and turns light brown. Place tray under broiler for 30 secs. to 1 min. for extra browning.

------

Mine didn't quite come out like hers did, but they were darned tasty. I made a couple batches, the first was garlic naan to go with the roast lamb and the rest of the Moroccan style dinner we were having over at a friends. The second batch was plain and went very yummy with Nutella.

I didn't read the ingredient very well the 1st batch, I added too much yogurt and it was VERY sticky. I ended up no rolling any out, simply sprayed the baking sheets with non-stick cooking spray, dropping the batter on and then patting it out with wet fingers.

The very first batch to hit the oven stayed in a little too long and got extra brown. I got the timing better the next couple of sheets. The garlic naan was a hit at the dinner and I left it with our friends.

I made the 2nd batch on Sunday and did better on the measurements. I still think I had too much of some liquid as I had to shape them with wet fingers again, tho they weren't quite as battery and sticky. Next batch I will use 3/4 of a cup of lukewarm milk to start the yeast and then add milk to the dough as needed to see if I can get the right consistency.

For the castor sugar, you can buy extra fine sugar at the grocery store. I simply put some regular sugar in my mini blender (bullet type) and gave it a few pulses to make it extra fine.

Once I get the recipe worked out to my satisfaction, I will see about making several batches of plain and garlic to stash in the deep freeze for ready use on weeknights when I want to make dinner quickly.

ETA 3/13/11: Reduced the milk to 3/4 of a cup, still a bit too sticky, but getting there. Next time I will cut it to 1/4 of a cup of milk and add liquid a bit at a time if need be. I also should note I use Greek yogurt as it it thicker and creamier then the regular stuff. Well worth the few extra cents to get it.

Comments

Popular Posts