Jean's IP Meatloaf



So, I finally broke down and made meatloaf for the first time in my life. I grew up loathing meatloaf, mostly a texture thing and it was just too weird.

But I had family coming for dinner last Tuesday night and needed to come up with something that was different and not turkey or chicken (with Thursday being the big turkey day, didn't want to ruin the anticipation). So I looked at what I had on hand and decided to give it a try.

I looked at several different Instant Pot meatloaf recipes and then came up with my own. I used gluten-free bread crumbs so I could eat it and simplified the glaze. Most recipes had way too many ingredients, not to mention sugar.

Meatloaf:
2 lbs ground beef
1 half onion
4 slices of bacon
½ cup Parmesan cheese
1 cup bread crumbs
3 tbsp crushed garlic
1 tbsp seasoned salt
2 tsp black pepper
2 tsp dried oregano
2 tbsp ketchup
2 tbsp bbq sauce
2 eggs, slightly beaten

Glaze:
 2 tbsp honey
 2 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar

Chop onions and saute them in a little oil until golden brown. Chop bacon into small pieces and
add to onions, Remove with a slotted spoon when bacon is cooked and add to the bowl with the
ground beef. Add the rest of the ingredients and mix by hand until everything is well distributed.

Spray a loaf pan with non-stick spray and pack the meat mixture in. Cover with foil. 

Put 1.5 cups of water in the IP and put it in a trivet. Place meatloaf on a trivet, put on the lid, making
sure the vent is in the sealed position. Set on manual for 40-45 minutes (if using a bundt pan, you
can probably cook it in 35 minutes).

While the meatloaf is cooking, mix the glaze ingredients together and set them aside.

Let it NPR for 10 minutes and then open. If you are using a loaf pan, use a probe instant thermometer
to make sure meatloaf is cooked through (160F or 70C).  Preheat the oven to 400F

Carefully remove meatloaf from the IP and remove the foil. Pour off any grease in the loaf pan into a
container for later disposal.

Turn meatloaf out into a baking pan and brush glaze on top. Put in the oven to let meatloaf brown up
and form a crust.

Take out of the oven and let rest for 10 minutes, then slice and serve.

Everybody liked it, including me! I was quite surprised and will definitely be making this more often.

Comments

Popular Posts