Falafel "tacos"

Since I am off wheat for the duration and seriously wanted falafel pockets, I decided to use corn tortillas instead.

I started off by making the falafel:

2 cans garbanzo beans, drained and rinsed
1 tsp cumin
1 1/2 tsp ground coriander
2 tablespoons mined garlic (or in this case a goodly amount of garlic powder. I was out of garlic)
1/2 onion, finely diced (again, no onion, so a heaping teaspoon onion powder)
1/3 cup dried parsley flakes
3 Tbs rice flour
salt & pepper to taste

I ran the beans thru the food processor, added the spices, garlic and onion powders, salt, pepper and parsley and mixed it with the processor. I then turned it out into a bowl and added the rice flour and mixed it in.

Normally the recipes call for frying in quite a bit of oil, but my frist attempt at that ended up with a mess. So instead I broke out my electric griddle, set it to 350F and poured on 2 Tbs of olive oil and spread it around. Once everything was ready, I made little falafel patties and fried them on the griddle:

Falafel tacos


I then set the cooked patties aside and added more olive oil and fried up the tortillas:

Falafel tacos


Then it was time to assemble:

Cheese:

Falafel tacos


Patty:

Falafel tacos


Tzatziki sauce:

Falafel tacos


Tomatoes:

Falafel tacos


YUM!

Falafel tacos

Comments

It must be quite the adjustment to be off of wheat! I don't envy you at all on that one. Your falafel tacos look quite tasty. I like that they are vegetarian as well. Now I have another recipe to try for our vegetarian friends. Thanks so much.
JeanC said…
You're welcome. And it can be made vegan with simple substitutions of vegan alternatives for the yogurt and cheeses.

Yeah, the no wheat things is a pain. I still have a another week to go of it, then back on it so I can get the blood tests. Tho if I have immediate problems like I was having, then the blood tests will be moot and I go whole hog wheat/gluten free. Luckily (or unluckily) I have a number of friends who are gluten/wheat intolerant to various degrees, so I will have help and support there.
~lifedramatic~ said…
Those look yummy Jean! I'm going to have to try to make those!

Charlene

http://lifedramatic.blogspot.com

Popular Posts